Fun Safety Videos
Elmo Visits the FDNY
Tour a Fire Station
Get Low and Go!
Sparky’s Fire Safety
Fire Truck Story
Smoke Alarm Song
Fire Safety Tips for Kids
- Remind grown-ups to keep hot foods and liquids away from tables and counter edges so they cannot be pulled or knocked over.
- Grown-ups should always be careful when using things that get hot such as curling irons, oven, irons, lamps, heaters.
- Hot things can hurt you. Stay away from hot things.
- Remind grown-ups to test the water before placing children or themselves in the tub.
Cool a Burn
- Treat a burn right away. Put it in cool water for 3-5 minutes. Cover with a clean, dry cloth.
- Remind grown-ups that if the burn is bigger than your fist, or if you have any questions, to get medical help right away.
Safety in the Kitchen
- Remind grown-ups to stay in the kitchen when cooking. Keep things that can burn (potholders, towels, and paper) away from the stove.
- Stay three feet away from the stove when a grown-up is cooking.
- Help grown-ups check electrical cords to make sure they are not damaged.
- Remind grown-ups to keep space heaters 3 feet from anything that can burn.
- Grown-ups should always turn off space heaters every time they leave the room and before going to bed.
- Remind grown-ups never to use an oven to heat your home.
Match and Lighter Safety
- Tell a grown-up if you find matches or lighters.
- Grown-ups should keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Remind grown-ups to put out lit candles when they leave a room.
- Stay three feet away from burning candles.
Safety Smart Grown-up Reminders
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area.
- Test smoke alarms once a month.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make a home fire escape plan with your family.
- Find two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.
- Know the emergency number for your fire department (911).
- Practice your escape plan twice a year.
- When the smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside!